With palms together,

  As others have pointed out, zazen in nature was the original way of the
Buddha. And, others still, the Thai forest monk traditions.

  I once led a thirty day Ango at my monastery.  Each day we sat for a two hour
period outdoors in a meadow tucked in the forest.  I had built siiting
platforms at various spots and we each would carry a zafu and blanket on a
early morning walk to the site.  There we would sit zazen.

  The experience had its ups and downs.  The ups were that it was clearly a
beautiful setting for practice, there was the possibility of witnessing much
unfolding.  The down side was the same, there was a lot of smal life, flies,
gnats, etc., that would land on every exposed surface and explore. I found
witnessing a fly walk across my eyebrow and down into my eyelash interesting.

  It turns out there are good reasons for sitting as Bill has pointed out: a
quite place, facing a wall, moderate light and tepid temperature. These are
conducive to just sitting.

  Be well.

Eugene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Do you have experience with practicing Zen in nature? Like, where do
you go, what do you do, how do people react, what have you learned not
to do, ...

Summer is definitely coming up here, which means I like to go out more
instead of staying in. Doing zazen in nature seems nice to me. I
haven't done it yet however... It seems a bit strange to me to sit
zazen in, say, a park or a forest. I wouldn't feel at ease, I think,
when others pass by. And what about the rule about sitting zazen
before a wall, preferably white?

Do Zen Masters mention something about this issue?

Eugene

        Zen buddhism   Tibetan buddhism   Zen alarm clock     Zen garden

Harvey So Daiho Hilbert, Ph.D.

May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
On the web at http://www.daihoji.org/
and http://daihoji.blogspot.com/