With palms together,

  Sitting with anything in mind, especially a "fun factor" would not be zazen.

  Be well.

Eugene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Thanks for sharing! Would be a great experience, sitting zazen in
nature, in group.

The distraction factor when sitting zazen outside is indeed
something to account for. Sitting inside would probably be more
benificial because of that. I learn from your experience to bring
some stuff to keep the insects away, and inspect the spot on
insects - it would at least help. Bill is right with his posting
that it is easy to be distracted when sitting zazen.

Seems to me that sitting zazen outside is not very useful for me,
except for the fun factor.

Or, has anyone some real positive experience with sitting in nature?

Eugene

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Sodaiho-roshi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> With palms together,
>
>   As others have pointed out, zazen in nature was the original way
of the Buddha. And, others still, the Thai forest monk traditions.

>   I once led a thirty day Ango at my monastery.  Each day we sat
for a two hour period outdoors in a meadow tucked in the forest.  I
had built siiting platforms at various spots and we each would carry
a zafu and blanket on a early morning walk to the site.  There we
would sit zazen.

>   The experience had its ups and downs.  The ups were that it was
clearly a beautiful setting for practice, there was the possibility
of witnessing much unfolding.  The down side was the same, there was
a lot of smal life, flies, gnats, etc., that would land on every
exposed surface and explore. I found witnessing a fly walk across my
eyebrow and down into my eyelash interesting.

>   It turns out there are good reasons for sitting as Bill has
pointed out: a quite place, facing a wall, moderate light and tepid
temperature. These are conducive to just sitting.

>   Be well.
>
> Eugene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   Do you have experience with practicing Zen in nature? Like,
where do
> you go, what do you do, how do people react, what have you learned
not
> to do, ...
>
> Summer is definitely coming up here, which means I like to go out
more
> instead of staying in. Doing zazen in nature seems nice to me. I
> haven't done it yet however... It seems a bit strange to me to sit
> zazen in, say, a park or a forest. I wouldn't feel at ease, I
think,
> when others pass by. And what about the rule about sitting zazen
> before a wall, preferably white?
>
> Do Zen Masters mention something about this issue?
>
> Eugene
>

> Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read
or are reading! Talk about it today!

>         Zen buddhism   Tibetan buddhism   Zen alarm clock     Zen
garden

>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Service.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/S27xlB/TM