--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Eugene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Sodaiho-roshi <buddhist99@>
> wrote:
> >
> > With palms together,
> >
> >   Sitting with anything in mind, especially a "fun factor" would
> not be zazen.
> >

> Sure - although some think Koans are allowed somehow.
>
> May I ask you what your reasons where for doing Zazen outside in
> nature?
>
> Thanks,
> Eugene

I know you weren't asking me but I wanted to bring up something that
this interesting question makes me think of.

The Buddha tells us about the four positions of the body; standing,
walking, sitting, lying down.  In all of them we're mindful.
Sometimes we have ideal conditions and sometimes we don't.  I sit in
ideal conditions if I have them.  If not I still can sit.

Even though all our zazen is the same, no two periods of zazen are
the same.  And I also think there is something to be said for zazen
in various environments and conditions.

I can say with certainty that there is a difference between home
zazen and sesshin zazen.  At home I may fidget about a little, change
postures, scratch, wipe my nose.  Some days I sit with the "coffee
mudra" and take mindful sips until I'm awake.  I don't think there's
anything wrong with my zazen and I don't think some are better than
others.  It's just something else.  Sometimes I am more still than
others.  In sesshin it's different.  I will be perfectly still, won't
move a muscle, and possibly sit in pain for quit awhile.  And they
don't let us bring coffee in the zendo.  (But there's always oryoki)

Then perhaps there is zazen in nature, zazen in a noisy environment
(neighbors anyone?) sweaty, hot, summer zazen, and cold zazen.  I've
done mini-zazen between commercials with the TV on.  Right now I am
getting ready for some sweaty, hot, painful zazen in sesshin next
month.

I'm not talking about some academic classification of "the types of
zazen."  I think it just takes it's form whenever we sit.  Even
sitting in the same place at the same time, in the same climate,
every day is not going to be the same twice.

-DaveK

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/S27xlB/TM