>Donald wrote:
>I apologize for not being clear on the question.  I am the newest member to
the group. >The moderator, I guess is Jarvis, sent me a few articles to read
and encouraged me to >ask questions and participate in the discussion.
>After I read zen.pdf, Wu-Ming and Instructions of Meditation, I asked, "Is
there an >objective or not?"

Donald, Since you're a self-confessed Newbie I'll give you some tips:
- Never say you weren't clear.  Say there was some technical problem with
you post because of the Yahoo! software, or suggest the site has been hacked
by militant Presbyterians.
- Jarvis (aka Al) is the moderator; although I'm sure you soon discover
there's nothing moderate about him.
- Reading, asking questions and participating in the discussions are what
this forum is all about.  I'd also add that actually practicing zen would be
a good thing, but I guess that's optional.
- In the beginning I'd wager that everyone has had multiple objectives they
would like to achieve through their zen practice.  I certainly did.  As you
practice, especially if you practice under the tutelage of an accomplished
zen master, your objectives will change and soften.  Eventually however, and
the real answer to your question is that, you will realize there is actually
no objective to zen practice.  Just to practice is complete in and of itself
and needs no additional objectives or goals.  In zen talk making a very
simple thing (like zen practice) unnecessarily complicated (like having
objectives or goals) is sometimes expressed as 'putting one head on top of

Good luck, and watch out for those pesky Presbyterians...Bill!