Thank you Bill for letting me feel comfortable and welcomed.

My question is, from the reading, it seems to indicate, slience, or emptiness
or vacancy or nothingness is where we need to reach first!???

If so, then what?  Do you have any other post?

Namaste.

Bill Smart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:    >Donald wrote:
 >I apologize for not being clear on the question.  I am the newest member to
 the group. >The moderator, I guess is Jarvis, sent me a few articles to read
 and encouraged me to >ask questions and participate in the discussion.

 >After I read zen.pdf, Wu-Ming and Instructions of Meditation, I asked, "Is
 there an >objective or not?"

 Donald, Since you're a self-confessed Newbie I'll give you some tips:
 - Never say you weren't clear.  Say there was some technical problem with
 you post because of the Yahoo! software, or suggest the site has been hacked
 by militant Presbyterians.
 - Jarvis (aka Al) is the moderator; although I'm sure you soon discover
 there's nothing moderate about him.
 - Reading, asking questions and participating in the discussions are what
 this forum is all about.  I'd also add that actually practicing zen would be
 a good thing, but I guess that's optional.
 - In the beginning I'd wager that everyone has had multiple objectives they
 would like to achieve through their zen practice.  I certainly did.  As you
 practice, especially if you practice under the tutelage of an accomplished
 zen master, your objectives will change and soften.  Eventually however, and
 the real answer to your question is that, you will realize there is actually
 no objective to zen practice.  Just to practice is complete in and of itself
 and needs no additional objectives or goals.  In zen talk making a very
 simple thing (like zen practice) unnecessarily complicated (like having
 objectives or goals) is sometimes expressed as 'putting one head on top of
 another'.

 Good luck, and watch out for those pesky Presbyterians...Bill!

                                                    Zen buddhism
                       Tibetan buddhism
Zen alarm clock
    Zen garden