If no one else has any other input, then next question -  what is "real" or
"truth"?

Namaste,
Donald

dkotschessa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:    --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com,
donald hwong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > Thank you Bill for letting me feel comfortable and welcomed.
 >
 > My question is, from the reading, it seems to indicate, slience, or
 emptiness or vacancy or nothingness is where we need to reach first!???

 > If so, then what?  Do you have any other post?
 >
 > Namaste.

 There are lots of reasons and objectives and goals in Zen and anybody
 that says otherwise is probably parroting something they mis-read out
 of a book.

 Having said that, when you are actually sitting in zazen, if you are
 trying to reach the objective, you have your mind on the future rather
 than in the present.  When you're doing the practice, you focus on the
 means and the means only.  The means is zazen. It might be the breath,
 it might be a koan, it might be shikantaza.  That's the only thing you
 focus on.

 The breath, or the koan, or shikantaza is the means to get you to the
 objective, which could be said to be samadhi.  You can't get samadhi
 by hoping for it.  But it will happen very often in the beginning that
 you will be "wanting" to get there and this is natural.  You just have
 to forget about wanting and go back to the practice.  Sometimes you'll
 realize you want to reach some state, then you'll say "oh I need to
 stop wanting to reach some state," so you'll think "ok now I'm going
 to stop wanting to reach some state."  And now you're just wanting
 something else!   It can be a real mess.  I think my first year of
 zazen was something like this.

 Now my mind can be a mess but I'm not upset that it's a mess.  I just
 sit there and see the mess and...well there it is.

 It's kind of like when somebody tells you "Calm down!"  Doesn't that
 piss you off more than anything?  Our minds are funny like that.

 -Davek

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/S27xlB/TM