--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, donald hwong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

case.  ----Just an intuitive "sense" without logic or positioning.

> Maybe "linked" or "related" or "connected" may offend less ego.  In
turn wake up more.........

> 2,500 years later, people are better educated and more ego-driven.
We parctitioners may begin to use less serious, orthodox words to get
the same messages across.

> Just a notion flashing over, independent by itself.
>
> I am grateful to your sharing.  A deep bowl to you.
> Donald

You're welcome, Donald.  Actually, it's great that you are here so we
can discuss these translation issues.  A big part of my practice has
to do with just understanding what the Buddha meant by certain things
he said. I think our search for the meanings of these words is good
practice, and being able to talk to somebody who can speak a
different language (that's you) is a blessing. :)

As for "dependent origination" I think the important part is that
they arise together.

That is:

4 From:  Evelyn Ruut - view profile
Date:  Thurs, May 26 2005 8:19 am
Email:   "Evelyn Ruut" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Groups:   talk.religion.buddhism, alt.religion.buddhism.tibetan,
alt.philosophy.zen
Not yet ratedRating:
show options
original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

"thefriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
..

> Have you ever heard of the 12 links (of becoming)?
> No

> It describes the preconditions of samsara very well.
> If you would like I can post them.

> I would like that very much
> thank you

> --

Dear Friend, I am providing you two sources.... short and succinct,
and the
longer explanation as well.  You might want to print this out or save
it to
read at your leisure.   It is very basic buddhism 101 :-)

Enjoy,

Evelyn

***************

The Twelve Links.....

 Upon ignorance depends karma
  Upon karma depends consciousness
  Upon consciousness depends name and form
  Upon name and form depends the six senses
  Upon the six senses depends contact
  Upon contact depends sensation
  Upon sensation depends desire
  Upon desire depends attachment
  Upon attachment depends existence
  Upon existence depends birth
  Upon birth depends death, sorrow, lamentation
      misery, grief and despair.
  Thus does this entire aggreation of misery arise.

(Samyutta Nikaya)

Of course, what's important for us as Zen practitioners?  I for one
enjoy learning about the Pali terminology, the 8 this, 7 that, 5
this, the 6 that... I've been learning a lot of it lately.

But ultimately, with dependent origination, when one stops, they all
stop.  So we don't really need to know all these things.  Pull it out
at the root, right?  So if we work towards stopping ignorance then I
think we're ok.

-DaveK

http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/S27xlB/TM