Hi DavidK,

Thank you for your sharing.  Nikaya did it in very simple terms.  It is wonderful, though still bit different from the Chinese-Thai Version.

Simple terms enables me to share with more people to be ferried to Buddhaland.  It is just great.

In our School, to connect to the Source of the Origination is the priority.  On our way to that synchronization, we can observe every perception if we remain in an absolute state of detachment.

Nonethelss, a grasp of the roots of any teaching is vital for the practitioner to support his struggle both physically and mentally.

Again, thank you for your help,

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED]ps.com, donald hwong <donaldhwong@...>
case. ----Just an intuitive "sense" without logic or positioning.
> Maybe "linked" or "related" or "connected" may offend less ego. In
turn wake up more.........
> 2,500 years later, people are better educated and more ego-driven.
We parctitioners may begin to use less serious, orthodox words to get
the same messages across.
> Just a notion flashing over, independent by itself.
> I am grateful to your sharing. A deep bowl to you.
> Donald

You're welcome, Donald. Actually, it's great that you are here so we
can discuss these translation issues. A big part of my practice has
to do with just understanding what the Buddha meant by certain things
he said. I think our search for the meanings of these words is good
practice, and being able to talk to somebody who can speak a
different language (that's you) is a blessing. :)

As for "dependent origination" I think the important part is that
they arise together.

That is:

4 From: Evelyn Ruut - view profile
Date: Thurs, May 26 2005 8:19 am
Email: "Evelyn Ruut" <mama-lion...@hvc.rr.com>
Groups: talk.religion.buddhism, alt.religion.buddhism.tibetan,
Not yet ratedRating:
show options
original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

"thefriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]ow> wrote in message

> Have you ever heard of the 12 links (of becoming)?
> No

> It describes the preconditions of samsara very well.
> If you would like I can post them.

> I would like that very much
> thank you

> --

Dear Friend, I am providing you two sources.... short and succinct,
and the
longer explanation as well. You might want to print this out or save
it to
read at your leisure. It is very basic buddhism 101 :-)

The Twelve Links.....

Upon ignorance depends karma
Upon karma depends consciousness
Upon consciousness depends name and form
Upon name and form depends the six senses
Upon the six senses depends contact
Upon contact depends sensation
Upon sensation depends desire
Upon desire depends attachment
Upon attachment depends existence
Upon existence depends birth
Upon birth depends death, sorrow, lamentation
misery, grief and despair.
Thus does this entire aggreation of misery arise.

(Samyutta Nikaya)

Of course, what's important for us as Zen practitioners? I for one
enjoy learning about the Pali terminology, the 8 this, 7 that, 5
this, the 6 that... I've been learning a lot of it lately.

But ultimately, with dependent origination, when one stops, they all
stop. So we don't really need to know all these things. Pull it out
at the root, right? So if we work towards stopping ignorance then I
think we're ok.

Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free. __._,_.___