I love this forum.  It is really fun.  Every post is direct. There is no pretense.  Yet every post is correct.  And every post shows the notions of the mind, sentiment of the poster. So here I go. Jumping into the pool.

If I was Rob, I would ask, what is "competent"?  How would I know I would be save at my first dipping into the water? How would I know which book to start, so that I am on the right track?

These answers should open the gates and really confuse Rob.

Donald

Bill Smart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wednesday, August 02, 2006 dkotschessa wrote:

>Have you thrown away all your books, Bill?

No. I sit on them when I do zazen.

What would you do if you wanted to learn to swim? Would you go down to the
library and checkout a bunch of books on swimming? Or would you locate a
swimming pool with a swimming teacher? Or maybe you'd just jump in the
water and hope for the best.

After a competent teacher has helped you through any fears you have of the
water, helped you relax so you can discover you naturally float, and then
taught you to dog-paddle a little - them maybe you could check out some
books on doing the butterfly and the backstroke.

dkotschessa? Don't we already have a dkotschessa? Guess not...

..Bill!