Very logical answer!

The point of this story is we're missing information
on why one was hired and one was not. Same thing when
we try to intellectualize (sp?) Zen with books. It
will give you a good base, but never the full story.
In Zen, you first experience it, as the intellect only
grabs a portion of the real picture.

The way I imagine the scenario is that in the first
case, the candidate just put pepper without thinking,
as an automatic act. In the second one, the candidate
actually used his smell to experience the soup, and
then acted upon what felt right for him.

Same action, different process.

Of course, the hiring manager had to be aware enough
to detect the difference in approaches.

But this is only my interpretation of this. There are
many ways of seeing this, as we can fill in the
missing pieces in many ways...

Good Zazen!
Serge