A university student while visiting Gasan asked him:
"Have you ever read the Christian Bible?"

"No, read it to me," said Gasan.

The student opened the Bible and read from St.
Matthew: "And why take ye thought for rainment?
Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow. They
toil not, neither do they spin, and yet I say unto you
that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed
like one of these... Take therefore no thought for the
morrow, for the morrow shall take thought for the
things of itself."

Gasan said: "Whoever uttered those words I consider an
enlightened man."

The student continued reading: "Ask and it shall be
given you, seek and ye shall find, knock and it shall
be opened unto you. For everyone that asketh
receiveth, and he that seeketh findeth, and to him
that knocketh, it shall be opened."

Gasan remarked: "That is excellent. Whoever said that
is not far from Buddhahood."

2.
Re: Spirituality
Posted by:      "Gary Blonder"
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
deepfrozentoo

Wed Sep 6, 2006 9:58 pm        (PST)

>Coming from a Christian background my understanding
of
>Zen as far as I have learned is that it is by its
very nature
>possible to combine/rationalise it with other
religions. There are
>authorised Zen masters active in the Christian church
for
>example. Only the most exclusivist traditions of the
Abrahamic faiths
>forbid this as a path, and I have not found any
Bhuddist tradition,
>especially not Zen that advises against it. On the
contrary, my
>understanding is that the Mahayana tradition in
particular >discourages abandoning other faiths unless
the devotee has fully >explored them. The Dalai Lama
has said as much.

>The Bhuddist Dharma in general does not as a first
priority attempt to >explain the nature and mechanism
of Divine Will. It is instead
>primarily a remedy for suffering. Since the relief of
suffering is
>also an aspiration of all three Abrahamic faiths,
there is scope for
>incorporating the techniques of Zen into the
spirituality of these