--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "TOR Hershman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I think Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind is over-rated. I also think that
Shunryu Suzuki got the benefit of being in California where he got a
lot of hype that he would not have gotten if he had started a temple
in Cleveland.

You know I actually somewhat agree with this, though I think ZMBM is a
very important book, and that I never would have gotten started in
Buddhism without it.  I suspect it's the same for many other people.
To this day I still go back to it when I need a kick upside my
arrogant head.

Truthfully what I think is that people have gotten attached to his Zen
as being definitive, without realizing that there are innumerable
faces to Zen.  A lot of his words have become cliches, one-liners, and
cop outs for people who do not really want to practice. It has spawned
quite a few people in what I've heard referred to as the "Buji Zen"
mode of practice.  It's the "anything goes" zen or the "I can do
whatever I want" zen.  However I don't think it was his fault.

And of course he got the benefit of being in California, but I don't
see anything wrong with that.  Suzuki was fascinated by the kind of
interest people had in Zen, and he loved beginners.  There was a
particular kind of open mindedness out there that I don't think he
could have found anywhere else.   I would even dare to say he was a
true Californian.

-DaveK