--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello. I may have been a member here before, but I can't remember. I
> just started practicing Zazen again. I practiced everyday for about
3
> years and then off and on for the last two. I'm still not sure
exactly
> what I'm doing. I realize that posture is very important and I had a
> question about that. In Zen Mind, Beginners Mind it says that you
> should push the head up and the abdomen down as if one were
supporting
> the sky, but when I do this it feels all wrong. I guess what my
> question is in Zazen is it right to hold onself in a certain posture?
>
> thanks,
>
> Chris

What Bill said is spot on.  In addition to that I would like to
mention that I had a lot less problems with posture when, after 5
years, I finally broke down and bought a real zafu(meditation
pillow).  Before that, I was just stacking pillows, which were still
too fluffy and not high enough, and everytime they stacked a
leeeeeetle differently so if it felt right one day it did not feel
right the next.

It's a shame that they are so expensive, but I'm now glad I bought
one.  I tried making my own zafu (have a PDF on how to do that
somewhere) but failed miserably.  I am still determined to try again
at some point, but I have to start with something easier, like
napkins, and work my way up.   :)

Eventually I want to make one out of denim, cuz I just think that'd be
cool.

-DaveK