I gave up going to Zen temples a while back because there was not
much to be gained in terms of socializing or sharing or anything
else. Most of the times it seems that the visitors are just going
there to do a brief session of zazen and then get the hell out of
there. So there wasn't any sitting outside by the cafe talking about
Dogen over espresso. It was just people showing up, sitting and then
leaving. Half the people never even made eye contact with anyone
else, much less say hello. I imagine the experience is much different
for monks and others who spend more time at the temple.

I can meditate by myself, but I like the gym environment better for
focus and a sense of shared purpose. Working out is a lot like
meditating. I think you can reach the same level of mental silence
while working out as what you can achieve meditating. The typical gym
has cuter women than the typical zen temple, and it is a lot cheaper
for an annual membership (or at least the same price). The best thing
about a gym is that there aren't any holier-the-thou types. Let me
correct that. There are some people who are not talking to anyone
just like at a zen temple. I guess that just makes the similarity
even closer.

I think zazen is just a matter of focus and concentration on your
breathing. Emptying the mind occurs in almost any activity where you
put all your concentration into it. Even sex is like zazen, except
much better.