My name is Jeff K., and I am a new member, and a newcomer along the path of Zen
Buddhism.  I am wrestling with the Buddhist concept of "no birth-no death",
which I first encountered in Thich Nhat Hanh's book, "The Heart of the Buddha".

When I first came upon the concept, I was mystified and confused. Thankfully, I
continued reading the book (which I find excellent!) and Thay returned to the
"no birth-no death" concept from another angle. Now I am beginning to
understand the concept, though not as deeply as I'd like.

My superficial understanding is: Most people fear death because we believe that
once we "die", we are annihilated. Buddhism teaches that the person is never
"destroyed"; rather,  our existence continues, albeit possibly in another form.
Even a cremated body is never totally destroyed or eliminated; ashes, bones,
and vapors still exist. I analogize this to the concept in physics that matter
cannot be destroyed. These elements of our body, now in the soil and/or air,
will sustain other life forms.

Perhaps I have it all wrong, but I'd greatly appreciate feedback from other
group members.
...Jeff K.