--- Bill Smart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Panda-Banana-Sock,
>
> I do not believe this is any kind of 'demon
> possession' or 'witchcraft'.  I
> think things like that are just tags we put on
> things we don't understand,
> but want to.

My cat may understand my vacuum cleaner in similar
terms!  Sometimes I feel if any being was in the room
with me, to them my fear would look equally as
unnecessary as when the cat darts out of the room when
it sees me bring out the vacuum.

> According to Buddhist philosophy, all phenomena are
> 'samsara', or illusions.
> I don't completely buy into that position, but in
> truth don't concern myself
> with such explanations, or even the need for them.
> You experienced sleep
> paralysis.  You experienced loss of motor control.
> You experienced fear.
> That is all there is to that.  As far as I'm
> concerned further explanations
> are not necessary, or even possible.

I admit, I am grasping toward a state of mind and an
achieving an explanation, but it's so damn
interesting!  I mean, come on!!

> If sleep paralysis becomes a real obstacle in your
> life, then I advize you
> to seek professional, perhaps medical, help.

Until I develop narcolepsy with episodes of paralysis
at work, this will not be a major obstacle for me.
The biggest problem with it is that I lose a few hours
of sleep per year over it.  The only other symptom I
could claim from these experiences is "chronic acute
curiosity".  I don't even necessarily want the
episodes to stop, but to just be able to see where it
would go if I didn't resist.

> I think meditation (zazen) is the right approach for
> this, but I think zazen
> is the right approach...for everything.  Zazen is
> just the right approach.
> I don't think you should think of zazen as remedy or
> solution for this.  You
> should not be doing zazen to achieve anything.
> There are no goals for
> zazen.

Without denying any of what you say, I still believe
zazen can help.  A person may not be practicing zazen
to achieve any benefits, but nevertheless, benefits
such as better blood pressure and lower stress level
(and apparently living to be 200) are benefits that
the medical community has known that meditation will
provide.  I am confident that in addition to those
benefits, zazen can help me "ride out" an episode of
sleep paralysis.  I guess the key is not to practice
for the purpose of reaping its benefits, but to just
be doing zazen for the purpose only of doing zazen,
and to being accepting of its benefits for the purpose
only of being accepting of its benefits.  Thanks for
helping me to see it this way!  If I can tame this
paralyzing ox, I will make sure to ride it over to you
in the middle of the night to give you my thanks!!

> Sweet Dreams!  ...Bill!

LOL, yeah right!  I guess instead of counting sheep, I
should be counting breaths.  That's something I can do
even when paralyzed.  Thanks again for sharing your
experience and views.

Be a better friend, newshound, and