The word 'sincere' is somewhat subjective but always understood from the first
person point of view, i.e., knowing when you are being sincere is easier than
knowing when others are.

  I'm sure that the people in the court who heard the zen master pluck the one
note on an instrument when the emporer asked the meaning of it all thought this
guy was either crazy, or just being insincere in his one note plucking answer
to the emporer.

  And yet, the zen master could have indeed been expressing his answer to the
question in the most sincere was possible.

  What's great about the net for a board like this is; even if some things are
off topic or downright WAY off topic, even when something offends us, etc., and
makes us think it's a bad use for the forum itself, no paper has been wasted.
Like spam, we can just hit a button and move on to the next that may be a
little useful.

  I think the better question would be, how many of us actually keep up with
our practice in a way that benefits us.

  Zen can be Zazen - and that may include some discussion in between those
practicing periods... or it can be something we apporach from a purely
intellectual point of view.

  Not to appear dogmatic, but for practical reasons, I really think you can
only toss around the ideas of Zen if you're sitting regularly. Zen doesn't work
well for an armchair topic even though lots of people enjoy making it such.

  So -- if you're reading this and realizing that you haven't spent a few
minutes sitting today, why not get away from the computer and do a little
sitting(?)!!

  After all, it only takes a few minutes...........

  Craig

pandabananasock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev:
          After about a year of inactivity, I have resumed posting on this
forum. I've had a lot more
time than usual to spend online due to my high-maintenance girlfriend's recent,
temporarily disabling operation (just a foot surgery, nothing serious) and the
fact that she
is pretty much useless in her disabled, opiate-riddled condition. I've been
working odd
hours and posting in-between making her food and running her errands.

THE POINT IS: only one of my recent posts has been sincere, about an actual
"problem"
concerning Zazen (that really long one). A couple have been half sincere and
half in jest.
And most have just been short and in jest. I remember at one point there was a
big push
by the moderator to focus posts on sharing ideas from books, teachers, and
personal
practice, and to avoid just posting a few self-serving paragraphs about our
supposed
boundless knowledge of Zen without citing where we got these ideas, and to also
avoid
masturbatory diatribes about how much more Zenner we are than other people
(Wierd Al
Yankovic said it best: "Think you're pure of heart? I know I'm a million times
as humble as
thou art!").

I admit it, I'm probably one of the most guilty of self-service and
non-citation on this
forum, however:
I don't want to dilute the message board.
I don't want to come off as self-serving, one of those people who seem to post
just to be
able to read their own words in masturbatory awe.
I don't want to post little jokes in response to people who are seeking sincere
from experienced practitioners, if is a waste of the seekers' time.

I guess I am just unsure of the boundaries, but I am young (23!!),
inexperienced, and
maybe possibly only be posting more due to my on-call at-home status. I realize
that
this forum does not consider itself an authority on zen, but I would like to
know what the
moderator and other members feel that the boundaries concerning sincerity
should be so
that this forum's members and I may progress in a manner that is most congruent
to the
goals of the forum and membership.

So how about it? Is there a line to be crossed, and if so, where should it be
drawn? What
does everyone think?

Går det långsamt? Skaffa dig en snabbare bredbandsuppkoppling.
Sök och jämför hos Yahoo! Shopping.