Couldn`t you just get the kids to sew cushions for the local temple? That way
the practioners get a comfortable session, you get a pat on the head from your
roshi and the kids wipeout years of their negative karma.

----- Original Message ----
From: Charlie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, 21 February, 2008 10:55:38 PM
Subject: [Zen] Re: Are Retarded Kids Sentient Beings

Cynth <wrote:> What bothers me the most is the attitude that somehow
those who have developmental disabilities are considered as less than
human >

I used to feel the same as you do, but I work in the public school
system, and the Union Steward told us that there are certain classes
where less is expected, and we are not to stand out because it makes
the other teachers look bad.

Physical Education, Special Ed, and the Arts and Crafts classes are
basically classes where a lot of subbbing happens because most of the
time the teachers that get assigned to those classes are there due to
substance abuse issues. They take a lot of time off and that gives
other teachers a chance to make extra money. However, if you hot-dog
it, then you might get assigned the class permanently and that ruins
if for everyone else.

We make good money on Overtime, and nobody wants to rock the boat. I
used to feel sorry for the poor kids, but now I realize that the less
educated they are, the more funds that they qualify for from the
social workers that help the parents. So it is a Win-Win situation.