V,

I sympathize with you.  I too have an ailing mother, and an ailing father.
They are 91 and 92 respectively.  My mother has Alzheimer's and is slowly
slipping into some indescribable black hole.  My father has lymphoma and a
heart condition caused by his chemo treatments.  There are times when I'm
overwhelmed by the 'poor, poor, pitiful me' tape playing in my mind because
of the burden they are for me and the restrictions their care places on me.

During these times I allow myself to feel sorry for myself and even become
depressed.  I know that will pass.  When it does pass, sometimes not for a
couple days, I return to living my life a moment at a time.

When I do that I am comforted to realize again that WHAT I'm doing is not
important.  WHERE I'm doing it is not important.  WHAT I COULD BE DOING is
not important.  The only important thing is HOW I'm doing what I'm doing now
- the QUALITY I put into every task, no matter how small and insignificant,
or seemingly useless (like trying to talk your mom into going to the
doctor), or how many times I've done the task before.

There is only NOW, and you are only doing THIS.  So do it the best you can.
Do it with you whole being.

This is your life.  Live it to the fullest, with the most quality.

This is zen.

.Bill!