Jody,

You certainly can learn from anyone and everyone.  It's all up to you.

If you re-read both JMJM's and my posts you'll see we had essentially the same
comments about the meditation technique you described (sea/sea creatures).
Only our styles were different.

Part of the reason our styles were different is the school of zen in which we
were taught (Chinese Chan:Japanese zen).  Part of the reason is probably also
our own personalities.  And in fact our personalities might have led us to our
particular school, and our school certainly helped further shape our
personalities or teaching style.

More important than all that is that the teaching technique should be
comfortable for the student so as to be most effective.  That means either the
teacher has to tailor his/her style to the individual (which means the teacher
has to REALLY KNOW the individual - and that's next to impossible via the
internet), or the student must search around for a teacher that has a style
that fits him/her.

I am not a teacher.  I only offer my perspectives and sometimes advice from my
experience.  JMJM is a teacher.  If you're ever at odds as to whose advice to
take, even I would advise you to lean towards JMJM.

Even though he's a wimpy, doting grandmother and will spoil you rotten!

...Bill!