I think this is what Donald (JMJM) was talking about when he
referred to Chan losing something when it migrated to Japanese Zen.
As well as Al in noting the "happy" people Zen with no worries, just
sit in your bliss.  I appreciate your notion of Zen in and of
itself. But what of the origins? Didn't the Buddha himself use Zen
meditation to reach enlightenment? And was it the Zen itself, or the
Buddhist tenets of the Middle Way and the Eightfold Path and such
that paved the way for his Nirvana. I guess I am still confusing Zen
Buddhism with just Zen alone as Bill has stated in the past. But it
is my belief the origination of Zen was created by the Buddha
himself, and I know Vietnamese Buddhists nuns today who practice
Zen, but teach of karma, interdependence, cause and effect, and
different realms of existance in which one can be reincarnated. It
seems to me that Zen Buddhism was created by the Buddha and Zen has
since been extracted out (for convenience, Al might say) as its
migrated over the years.

Thanks Again,
            Chris.

> Chris,
>
> There are numerous sources. E.g. during the Q&A after a lecture
by
> Suzuki Roshi I asked him two questions:
>
> Q: Reincarnation is one of the central tenets of Traditional
> Buddhism. Does Zen accept the notion of reincarnation?
> A: No.
>
> Q: During your lecture you stressed the importance of not using
the
> rational mind. Do you use your rational intelligence to solve
> everyday problems?
> A: Yes, I do.
>
> Also the works of Suzuki Daisetz (a different Suzuki) stress the
> common sense non-supernatural nature of Zen which pays little
> attention to anything supernatural.
>
> Also the whole samurai tradition, which is Zen based, is a very
> rational direct and realistic approach to living in the face of
> certain death with nothing beyond death.
>
> In other words Zen doesn't succumb to the notion that life has to
be
> fair. The important point is how one deals with whatever one
> encounters in life....
>
> I think that's enough for now....
>
> Edgar
>

> On Sep 4, 2008, at 12:58 PM, cid830 wrote:
>
> > Edgar,
> >
> > I understand where you are coming from with your definition of
Zen.
> > Like what Bill always says what Zen is to him. But he always
> > qualifies it as his opinion. You gave such a definite statement
on
> > what Zen is, but what is your source? There are different
schools of
> > thought and tradition.
> >
> > Thank You,
> > Chris
> >
> > --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Edgar Owen <edgarowen@> wrote:
> >

> > > Donald,
> > >
> > > I don't think Zen pays much attention to karma. Zen certainly
> > doesn't
> > > accept reincarnation which is how karma is typically
transmitted