Edgar,

I'm in the process of reading your paper on time.  It written with
meticulous care to follow the scientific process.  Why then would you
be drawn into this kind of psuedo-science?

For just one example, the first fatal flaw in this experiment is the
assumption that Matthieu Ricard is representative of Buddhis monks,
and that Buddhist monks as a group have 'developed a greater
capacity for forgiveness and compassion'.  I know that's the popular
consensus, certainly on this forum, and it's even my belief - BUT,
that doesn't make it a valid assumption on which to base a scientific
experiement.

Or...were you forwarding this to us to share it as a joke?

> Can love change your mind? New project explores neuroscience of
> 'positive qualities'
>

> Wearing a 128-channel geodesic sensor net, Buddhist monk Matthieu
> Ricard sits in a soundproof room and talks with Richard Davidson
> (right) before participating in an electroencephalography (EEG)
test
> [...]
> but of specific practices that can have an impact on mental health
> and point the way to new techniques to cultivate these virtues in
> children and adults, including those with disabilities.
>
> "Most commentators agree that if the world contained more people
who
> more often displayed qualities such as love, forgiveness,
compassion
> and related characteristics, some of the myriad problems that
plague
> modern society would be less severe," Davidson says.
>
> Davidson's research team has already done studies on compassion,
in
> which they examined how specific mental training exercises were
able
> to elicit changes in a brain region called the insula, an area
that
> is directly tied to interactions between the mind and body. When
> subjects are asked to respond to stimuli that depicts human
> suffering, for example, there are often parallel physical
reactions
> in the body that can be measured. Those reactions may serve as
> motivators for the propensity to help others, Davidson says.
>
> One big challenge will be how to define, isolate and measure what
such
> as love or forgiveness. Davidson says a great deal of their
success
> will depend on whether specific studies can be designed to really
> hone in on a particular virtue. Adding to the challenge is the
fact
> that many of these virtues may be related neurologically.
>
> The question of measuring love may be especially challenging, but
> Davidson says there are some intriguing options. For example, when
> people talk about immediate family members â€" parents, children,
> spouses â€" it's easy to identify qualities that most people would
> agree constitute love, such as a selflessness and a sense
one "would
> do anything" for that person. But it's much harder to explain
beyond
> immediate family.
>
> "It may well be that for most people, the experience of love is
> something that is pretty restricted to that close circle of
people,"
> he says. "If that's true, it actually allows us to see how a
person's
> response to people inside that sphere are different from those
> outside the sphere."
>
> As part of the Fetzer initiative, Davidson has named two graduate
> students who are working in the general area of contemplative
> neuroscience as Fetzer Fellows. The first two fellowships are held
by
> Daniel Levinson, a first-year graduate student who completed his
> undergraduate studies at Stanford University, and third-year
student
> Helen Weng, who completed her undergraduate work at Columbia
University.

> Levinson says he will study the ways in which meditation
influences
> emotion and attention, and understand the brain processes that
allow
> people to excel at those behaviors. Those same brain processes
might
> inform work on love, compassion and forgiveness.
>
> "It is a rare gift to be funded to do what you care about most
> deeply," Levinson says.
>
> Davidson adds that the Fetzer Institute work will be part of a
larger
> center in development called the Center for Creating a Healthy
Mind,