Edgar,

Yes, I use lower case 'z' to indicate that 'zen' is nothing special
and not specifically associated with anything else (like Buddhism).
I use 'Zen' with an upper case 'Z' to stand for Zen Buddhism which is
a proper noun and does stand for something very specific and
therefore bounded - also of course it is directly associated with
Buddhism.