Good Bill.  I can always count on you bring back to the path of True
Zen. Although I do believe in this Universal Life Force and the chi
that flows throughout, it is my belief in zen that has gotten me
here. Here! Now!  Everything else is just an illusion.

Sorry I have been joking with you lately, please take it as a
compliment!

Later,
      Chris

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Smart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Edgar,
>
> Thanks for trying to clargy this.
>
> I accept your explanation of how you use the word 'chi' or 'OE',
and
> have never disagreed with it.  I have first encountered it as being
> called Buddha Nature and now refer to it as Just THIS! becasue I
> don't want it to be tied to tightly to Buddhism.
>
> BUT, my point has always been that as soon as you enter into a
> dualistic despription of chi, assigning it such qualities as
personal
> chi, universal chi, good chi, bad chi, feminine chi, masuline chi,
> stong chi, weak chi, etc..., you are no longer talking about chi,
> you're just babbling about some illusions and attachments you have
in
> regards to the concept of chi.
>
> ...Bill!
>
> --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Edgar Owen <edgarowen@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Mike, and Bill too,
> >
> > I think the problem you and Bill are having is in thinking of chi
> as
> > something in particular rather than of the very stuff or
substance
> of
> > everything which is what it is in the sense I (and at least to
> some
> > extent JM) are using it. Chi is not something that martial
artists
> > 'generate' and that other people don't have. Everything is
> composed
> > of chi. It is the only substance of the universe. There is
nothing
> > else except the particular forms that arise within it which have
> no
> > substance of their own. In this view the universe consists only
of
> > chi and the empty forms chi takes on which have no reality
> substance
> > of their own. I generally use the term OE (ontological energy)
for
> [...]
> the
> > present moment.
> >
> > So Mike and Bill's emptiness is simply chi that isn't moving,
that
> is
> > devoid of form. Calling chi chi is just terminology. One could
> call
> > it Mu, Tao, OE, emptiness or anything else just so long as we
know
> > what we are talking about. It is the definition we are using
that
> > counts. Don't go by some huff and puffing guy who thinks only he
> has
> > chi. All of us ARE chi, simply forms in the sea of chi, forms in
> the
> > universal sea of OE.
> >
> > So in the stillness of Zen meditation perhaps chi is hardly
> moving,
> > but in daily life chi moves constantly, and Zen is being in tune
> with
> > that movement. That's the same as saying what MIke and Bill are
> > saying since chi is intrinsically empty, Mu, void, Tao. It is
only
> > the forms within chi that really move.
> >
> > Edgar
> >

> > On Sep 11, 2008, at 4:28 AM, mike brown wrote:
> >

> > > Hi Edgar,
> > > Thanks for the reply and insight. I'm just finding it really
> hard
> > > to intergrate my understanding and experience of Zen with the
> > > importance some people here are placing on chi. I can
appreciate
> > > that chi exists and may even be the source of form and
> emptiness,
> > > but at the end of the day I just don't believe it is essential
> > > know or experience chi in order to live a Zen life. With due
> > > respect, I think JMJM's Chan is just a highly developed
> technique
> > > which allows a person to feel chi and so feel somewhat
> > > spiritualised and 'connected'. I've felt something very similar
> in
> > > my Vipassana meditation (Vipassana uses a technique which
> generates
> > > a lot of chi and this is then used to 'scan' the body to feel
> the
> > > most minute, subtle sensations within and on the surface of
the
> > > body), however it is still a technique. I'm not saying
> techniques
> > > are a bad thing - after all zazen meditation is a technique .
> What
> > > I am saying tho' is that ultimately ALL techniques are just
> rafts
> > > which need to be discarded after reaching the other shore (the
> > > shore we're already on, of course). Zen is just simply living
> life
> > > fully in the moment and doesn't require anything extra in the
> way
> > > of 'energy currents', God, or listening to our 'inner-dolphin'.

In
> [...]
> total
> > > interactive situation with the opponent. The emptier of such
> > > concentration one is the faster and more appropriately one can
> act.
> > > The idea is to be empty of self so that you are maximally aware
> and
> > > tuned to the flow of the total situation and are able to
respond
> > > instantly and naturally to any change the opponent makes in
the
> > > unity of the whole situation. This too is actually chi, but not
> > > huff and puff concentration of chi in one's own hara, but a
> maximal
> > > awareness and response to the total chi of the entire
situation
> > > that exists between you and your opponent. If you erect no chi
> > > barrier to your opponent you are able to sense instantly any
> change
> > > he makes to the chi flow you share with him and respond
> optimally -
> > > assuming you have the training to do so of course.
> > >
> > > This all goes to a very important point. What to do with
> > > realization, what to do with Zen? As Bill noted, he spends 99%
> of
> > > his life out of zazen. No matter how enlightened we exist in
the
> > > world of maya where causality holds sway. With Zen we can
> realize
> > > that is illusion, but we still must exist within it. The big
> > > question is how to bring Zen into that world in our daily lives
> 24/7.
> > >
> > > Al points to the way here. The key is to be empty. That
doesn't
> > > mean to be empty of chi, but to be empty of any hinderances to
> the
> > > flow of chi. When we are empty of such blockages we are
> continually
> > > being filled with the chi of the present here now which flows
> > > through us unobstructed, and out of this flow our own action
> > > originates naturally and spontaneously. Most people's action
> > > originates from their hinderances to the free flow of chi,
those
> > > internal forms in which they try to trap chi, that is the
> internal
> > > forms in which most people try to structure and hold chi
> according
> > > to their particular desires, and thoughts, those forms which
> they
> > > call their self. But true Zen action arises directly from the
> free
> > > unhindered flow of the chi of the present moment through one's
> > > center. We see that brilliantly in the finest martial artists
> such
> > > as the aikido of Ueshiba Morihei, but it also works in every
> aspect
> > > of daily life if we just empty ourselves and tune to the chi of
> the
> > > moment, and let that originate our actions without hinderance.

It's