Whatever the case, you can be sure that ALL the statues created of
whatever Buddha you choose were sculpted a long time after the
subject individual (if there was one) lived and died.  I believe many
of these stories are composites of different individuals with
some 'hype' thrown in.  The statues are someone's idea.  They're a
stylized version of Buddha:  thin to show acestics, fat to show
happiness/contentment, etc...

This doesn't mean they're wrong or bad, just that they're stylized
concepts of Buddha - like Maya in granite.

...Bill!

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Edgar,
>
> I guess the picture you are reproducing belongs to the Hinayana
tradition
> or early Mahayana, it may be a Gandhara statue.
>
> When Buddhism spread out in all directions from the north of India,
the
> teaching arrived also in nowadays' Pakistan and Afghanistan. Since
> Alexander the Great (the Greek military leader who had defeated
Persia),
> states with Greek culture had been persisting in that area.
> The Greeks had always been good sculptors and they made their
statues in
> their traditional Greek way. This is why they would start to carve
Buddha
> statues after they had got in contact with Buddhism. And they
carved the
> Buddha with a traditional Greek hairstyle -- what seems like a
helmet to
> you.
>
> One may speculate that it was the ascetic Buddha before his
enlightenment
> who made the strongest impression on those believers, so they liked
this
> ascetic appearance.
>
> When Buddhism later arrived in China, the Chinese preferred another
look
> and made what you call the "fat guy" sculptures. Seems the ascetic
> appearance did no impress them so much.
>

> Gasshoo, Kai
>

>              "Fitness63"

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]

uth.net>                                                   An
>              Gesendet von:
<Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com>

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                       Kopie

oups.com

 Thema
>                                          Re: [Zen] Re:
JUDO
>              12.09.2008
14:04

>               Bitte
antworten

an

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

oups.com

>  (Embedded image moved to file:
pic18467.jpg)

>  Did those guys wear helmets? It seems like all those sculpts have
the same helmet.
>  BTW, he looks really skinny, did he have to sit during the
sculpture? Looks like
>  he should have made friends with Bodhidharma's
staff.

>  So who is the fat guy? I thought that was Buddha? Sitting without
getting exercise
>  is not good. He was definitely living out of
balance.

Edgar