From: Bill Smart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Zen] Re: What's after Satori you can do without being bored
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, 20 September, 2008, 9:15 AM

Anthony,

I forgot to address the 'boring' issue you raised...

You wrote:
> > One of the reasons why zen fails to attract ordinary people is
that
> after satori you just eat when you are hungry, sleep when you are
> sleepy etc. That seems boring. In Christianity and Islam, you go to
> heaven to enjoy yourselves permanently. What is your explanation?

I addressed your remark about zen failing to attract people, but did
not address the 'boring' part.

If you perform an action with your whole being, such as eating or
sleeping or having sex, you will not be bored. You are bored when
you are half-doing one thing and thinking about something else. When
you're mowing the grass you should just mow the grass. You should
not be mowing the grass while thinking about what you're going to do
when your finished, like play golf or go swimming. If you do that
while mowing the grass you'll be bored.

Zen does try to convince you to be good or bad for fear of punishment
or promise of reward. Zen does not promise you a future heaven. If
you're interested in that you can have it right here, right now. In
fact even Jesus was reported to have said as much when he said '...
the Kingdom of Heaven is within you.' Luke 17:21. Buddha Nature is
within you. You just have to look for it. The search and your life
after finding it is definitely not boring.

....Bill!

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED] ps.com, "Bill Smart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED] ..> wrote:

> Anthony,
>
> My remarks/responses are embedded below:
>
> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED] ps.com, Anthony Wu <wuasg@> wrote:
> >
> > The koan you quoted, "show me your face before your mother was
> born" should read, "show me your face before your mother gave birth
> to you." That is more relevant, as there is no direct connection
> between 'your mother' and your self.
>
> I quoted the koan correctly: 'before your mother was born'. Koans
> have nothing whatsoever to do with relevance.
>
> > The Chinese meaning of 'satori' is 'awakening' or 'awakened'.
> And 'kensho' is 'seeing your nature'. But meanings can changed,
> dictated by usage.
>
> Thanks for these translations. They are compatible with my
> understanding of the way they are used in Japanese Zen Buddhism.
>
> > One of the reasons why zen fails to attract ordinary people is
that
> after satori you just eat when you are hungry, sleep when you are
> sleepy etc. That seems boring. In Christianity and Islam, you go to
> heaven to enjoy yourselves permanently. What is your explanation?
>
> I know of no zen schools that prosyletise, so attracting people is
> not high on their agenda. The general attitude I've heard
concerning
> this is that 'people will come when they're ready'.
>
> > The other aspect that is seldom mentioned is whether I can add 'I
> have sex when I feel lust' to '... eat... sleep'? Sex is one of the
> common activities human beings do. You cannot ignore it.
>
> There are a lot of other aspects you could add. Sex is certainly
one
> of them. I don't ignore it, but I'm not obsessed with it either.
> When horny, I have sex, if my partner is willing. Okay?
>
> ...Bill!
>
> > Regards,
> > Anthony

and 'enlightenment'
> > only in
> the
> no

> come a
> > study - or
> zen
> > (private
> the
> > period
> so
> > of the

> zendo
> > many

> > after
> How
> > about
> > merit?

> > before. I

> learning
> > to be

> Ming -
> ÃÆ'§Â²Â¾ÃÆ'¦ËÅ"Ž

> after

> > New Email addresses available on Yahoo!
> > Get the Email name you&#39;ve always wanted on the new @ymail and
> @rocketmail.
> > Hurry before someone else does!
> > http://mail. promotions. yahoo.com/ newdomains/ sg/

Tired of visiting multiple sites for showtimes?
Yahoo! Movies is all you need
http://sg.movies.yahoo.com