--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Al" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So what happened, and how did it happen, and what triggered the
> satori? How do you know you had it if it is just a distant memory?
> Have you ever had it again?

Hi Al-

What happened was the building I lived in was struck by lightning- it
struck the lobby, and our apartment was just on the other side of the
lobby. It fried the intercom system- melted the metal box and burnt
the wiring to dust, and broke the two windows. My son's bedroom was on
the north side of the lobby and he saw the lightning go down the wall-
he said it was very bright blue-purple.

It was very early (around 5am) on a Saturday morning in June. There
was no storm, just a gentle rain. It was completely unexpected,
completely "out of the blue" as they say. You can't imagine how loud
it was- our ears rang for 3 days.

The lightning hit - and as I said, all the overlays on my
consciousness fell away- there was no thought, no language, no
nothing. The lightning was. I was. And that was all there was to it.
I was up and out of bed and flying down the hall TOWARD the strike
(my son's room) before I knew what I was doing. That's it- I was just
doing, just being, without thought or emotion or overlays of any kind.
There was no internal dialog. My body disappeared, I had no sense of it.

My son was not harmed, just very badly frightened and ringing in his ears.

Years later I literally tripped over a little book on the street. It
is Zen Essence - The Science of Freedom edited and translated by
Thomas Cleary. It is a collection of sayings of the old Chinese Zen
masters. I picked up the book and put it in my purse. I began reading
it that evening. And I read:

"When the jewel staff strikes, heaven and earth lose their color.
Through this experience, all devils guts burst. Through this
experience, all sages eyes open." Xuedou

When I read that I understood it instantly. And some of the other
sayings in the book as well. So I figured I should find out more about
zen. I went to the bookstore and came home with Watts, Blythe, Kenko,
Suzuki, Rajneesh (now known as Osho). What happened to me with the
lightning sounded just like the descriptions of Satori I read about.

And to answer your other question, yes, I have flashes of it
occasionally. It comes when I am very engrossed in something, or when
I am not paying attention to anything. It really is like looking into
the sky for the sun or moon, at first you can't see it, then the
clouds part for a few seconds and there it is. But I don't dwell on
it, there's no need, because I know it's always there.

Margie (roloro1557)