Margie,  WELCOME!  I haven't read the book you cited, but all other books
edited by Thomas Cleary that I have read have been very good.

...Bill!

From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of roloro1557
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 12:52 AM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Zen] Hello and introduction

Greetings Everyone,

I just joined the Zen Forum and wanted to introduce myself.

Zen got hold of me about 20 years ago, when the building I lived in
was struck by lightning. But I didn't realize it until about 12 years
ago when I literally tripped over a little book on the street(Zen
Essence, The Science of Freedom - translated and edited by Thomas
Cleary*):

"When the jewel staff strikes heaven and earth lose their color.
Through this experience all devils' guts burst. Through this
experience all sages' eyes open." Xuedou

I'm looking forward to making new friends here and many good discussions.

Margie (roloro1557)