Edgar,

I haven't finished reading your paper on time.  All last month I was in the
USA visiting my ailing, elderly parents and just didn't have the time to do
it justice.  Maybe when I'm finished with it and am able to get back to you
with comments I will see less disagreement between us on topics such as time
and cause-and-effect, but I couldn't let this current post of yours go by
without some observations.  The bottom line of these observations is that
the human concepts of time and cause-and-effect are maya -
rational/intellectual constructs/overlays on reality - much like the concept
of 'self'.

Now to your post:

I'm not willing to concede that 'everything is quantum'.  In fact if I had
to choose a rational label, I would say that 'everything' (reality) is a
single continuum not a collection of individual quanta.

'Probabilistic' is definitely a rationalistic overlay which is used to fill
in the gap between the highly desired rational state of determinism (cause
and effect) and the highly undesirable real state of chaos (randomness).

Since reality is a continuum there are no individual 'events' that can be
defined and separated by 'time' or connected by 'cause-and-effect'.

To answer the question you pose in your last paragraph:

>Are the laws of complex emergent events actually determining the
fundamental tuning of the quantum >world which seem to produce them, or vice
versa? Or is it all locked in an unchangeable time >symmetric network?

The long answer is: There are no individual events to which laws could be
assigned/discovered/applied.  Also, there are no changes (not the same as
'unchangeable') because in order for 'change' to manifest, there needs to be
multiple 'events' happening at different points in 'time', neither of which
exist.

The short answer is: Mu!  (and this is not the 'mu' that is the 12 letter of
the Greek alphabet.)

But, as I stated in the beginning, it's all dependent on what's your
definition, usage of and belief in time.  If you concede time, you concede
all else.

...Bill!