Bill,

An interesting post to which the answer is well yes and no.

First of all the quantum world is continuous in one sense, that the wave functions which define everything at the micro level continually persist and just change their forms they never actually 'collapse' or vanish but like ripples and waves in an ocean of ripples and waves gradually lose their measurability in new ripples and waves. So you are correct that in one sense it is only at the classical level at which humans exists that discrete events are picked out and isolated by the human brain from the flux of tao or chi or OE or whatever one wants to call it.

This however doesn't negate the randomness at the micro-level. That in my view is caused by the fact that dimensional spacetime is actually created by quantum level processes. So what randomness means is that at the micro-level the creation of points of spacetime are created with some randomness.

At an even deeper level we have little units of the building blocks of the universe, things like units of charge and spin, which are continuously reassociating into elementary particles. We may call those things particle interactions, but really they are just reassociations of the elementary units of reality.

These elementary units of reality are discrete though in their essence, though continuous in time. Basically if things were not discrete fundamentally then the universe would be continuous and that would mean that infinities would have to exist. There are no physical infinities, infinities are an abstract extrapolation invented by men.

Hope that makes sense, if not I'll try to explain in more detail.

Edgar