I agree completely with Edgar...Bill!

From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Edgar Owen
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 6:48 PM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Zen] Re: 2009 Best Way Pledge

Mike and Chris,

In my view Zen is simply directly experiencing what is real. All else is
just window dressing and fluff, useful perhaps on the way to Zen, but
intrinsically irrelevant.

Edgar

On Oct 2, 2008, at 4:09 PM, cid830 wrote:

Mike,
I really just mean for the sake of discussion on this forum. My
understanding of Zen Buddhism has always been that this is the path
that the Buddha took to enlightenment, minus much of the dogma that
traditional Buddhism has followed. The Eight-fold path, the Middle
Way, the Three Jewels, etc., to me, are still an integral part of Zen.
But for the sake of this forum, especially influenced by the wisdom of
master Bill, I can understand where others here try to make the point
that even Zen Buddhism can be refined to "bare-bones" Zen. I do dis-
agree with Bill's point that Zen has always stood alone and that other
beliefs have tried to incorporate it, I believe it is the opposite,
Zen has been isolated from Zen Buddhism and incorporated into other
people's beliefs. Or something like that.

Thank You for Asking,

Chris

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED], mike brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That's interesting, Chris. Why are you trying to strip your zen from
your Buddhist teachings? Without the Buddhist teachings Zen (as a
path) would not exist. Mike.