Edgar,
       Isn't that the ultimate goal? Isn't "directly experiencing
what is real" enlightenment? So Zen = Enlightenment?  IMHO Zen is
the pathway to enlightenment.

The "window dressing and fluff, useful perhaps on the way to Zen"
are the necessary training (i.e. meditation, concentration
exercises) to release the illusion of Self.

Maybe it's just a matter of definitions. But I still maintain that
most individuals will need to train/practice in order to directly
experience what is real.

Thank You,

Chris

> Mike and Chris,
>
> In my view Zen is simply directly experiencing what is real. All
else
> is just window dressing and fluff, useful perhaps on the way to
Zen,