From: Anthony Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, 8 October, 2008 7:28:56
Subject: [Zen] In Heaven and on Earth

Bill,

I spent two years in Thailand building a chemical plant. But I was too busy
making my worldly living to interact with local monks. However, I read a lot
about good monks such as Ajahn Chah and Puthathat (maybe a wrong spelling). In
my opinion, Theravada represents an 'original' Buddhism, as close to Buddha's
teachings as you can find right now. I appreciate the fact that they don't have
much mythology. When you come to Hong Kong or Singapore, though there are many
good monks, some clear examples point to profiteering only. I don't see many
who can walk the talk. The Bodhisatva ideal is for devotees only (with
previlege). The mythology is as funny as saying the Buddha was able to walk, as
soon as he was born, 7 steps in each direction, then proclaim, 'in heaven and
on earth, I am the most worthy of honor'. So It takes a zen master to kill him
and feed the body to hungry dogs.

Regards,
Anthony