I was watching CNN discussing whether America is moral or moralistic
with a professor from Boston College and another one from Yale.

What I was impressed with and remembered was....

"Being moral is to act spontaneously in the interest of others..."

"Being moralistic is to rationalize my I actions based on a certain set
of standards..."

"Therefore America is moralistic and not moral..."

:-)