From: mike brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Zen] In Heaven and on Earth
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, 8 October, 2008, 8:26 AM

Hi Anthony,

Yes, on my recent Vipassana retreat I was surprised to find out how 'stripped
down' of mythology and spirituality Theravada is. I believed quite the
opposite. In fact it seems much less a religion than Mahayana is, especially
because of the Bodhisattva ideal (which of course does not have to be taken
literally). I would say  that the sutras (taken far more seriously in
Theravada) show Buddha to be much closer to a clinical therapist than a
religous icon and his meditation more a breathing technique for psychological
purposes than spiritual ones. Mike.