As to the OBE, I really haven't felt I had to explain it. It was just something that happened. In my view it is a fundamental mistake to think consciousness is located or centered in the physical body, since everything we see and experience is actually happening in our own head and the idea of an individual 'self' is just a cognitive construct, so that cognitive construct can subjectively locate its concept of observer anywhere it wants, at least temporarily. In that view 'our' consciousness continually pervades everything that we experience to its furtherest boundaries. Since all that is experienced is consciousness, consciousness must then be antecedent to the division between self and not self.

Remember the furtherest boundaries of the horizon are simply our retinas inside our eyes, and the whole world exists in the nigredo of our brains (the black obsidian crystal ball which we wish to turn into a perfectly clear crystal ball brain - unconsciousness into consciousness), but of course that means our eyes are the sky and our consciousness in our brains pervades the entire universe.

Thus the Zen adage: "Awaken the mind, while dwelling nowhere." Which means wake up and recognize that consciousness is not centered anywhere but everywhere and transcends the distinction between self and world.

On Oct 11, 2008, at 5:58 PM, Anthony Wu wrote:

Hi Edgar,

I keep an open mind. In your view, does consciousness just disappear, when we die?

You seemed to say you had an OBE in Japan. How do you explain that based on science.

--- On Sun, 12/10/08, Edgar Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
From: Edgar Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Zen] consciousness
Date: Sunday, 12 October, 2008, 3:23 AM

Thanks Margie,

Your comments or questions would be welcome.

Much appreciated,

On Oct 11, 2008, at 9:55 AM, roloro1557 wrote:

Hi Edgar-

I am still reading HardProblem - I'm on page 10. So far it is
wonderful! :-)

Margie (roloro1557)

FROM: Over the hills and far away.. . .
Don't be an observer of life. Be life. T'ao Shan
OldWomansZenChronic les.blogspot. com

Get your preferred Email name!
Now you can and