Mike and Mark,

Zen without Buddhism is like a fish without a bicycle...Bill!

From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Mark Perew
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 3:52 PM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Zen] Re: TNH - Fifty Verses of the Nature of Consciousness.
Part 4, Sense Consciousness

Mike -

A toast to the things I cannot change!

On 10/15/08, mike brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Mayka,

>My knowledge and insight about
>consciousness is rather limited. And therefore open to
>intelectualization and what is the worst speculation. Being aware of
>the harm that intelectualization and speculation can cause I'd rather
>keep quiet till real insight cames out.

Well said. I really do enjoy reading the intellectual and metaphysical
postings here, but at the end of the day, that is all they really are -
headcandy for the intellect. That's why I guess I would call myself a Zen
Buddhist. The danger of trying to extract zen from Zen Buddhism can lead to
the charge that zen is nothing more than an "intellectual exercise" ala
JMJM. IMHO an understanding of 'emptiness' without following the Eight
Precepts won't  lead to a self-transformation as deep as following them. I
don't remember who said it, but zen without Zen Buddhism is like an
alcoholic going to an AA meeting in the morning and a cocktail lounge in the
evening.

Mike.