Hello Bill, Mayka and all,
Thank you for your answers.  I do understand what you mean but what I am
trying to understand is the goals we set to function in the world.

I think I understand that is the MOTIVATION that is important.  If a person
has a driving desire to be a Phd in a subject that interests them, then if
the person pursues the subject they are studying with curiousity and they
focus on what they are doing today then that is the objective but if they
are driven to crave the PhD in the future without thinking of the path to
get there then that is where the problem is?