Jody,

You wrote:
>I think I understand that is the MOTIVATION that is important. If a person
>has a driving desire to be a Phd in a subject that interests them, then if
>the person pursues the subject they are studying with curiousity and they
>focus on what they are doing today then that is the objective but if they
>are driven to crave the PhD in the future without thinking of the path to
>get there then that is where the problem is?

I think your thoughts above are close, but obtaining a PhD is a goal.  LEARNING
MORE ABOUT [whatever] is not a goal, it is an activity.  Now you could pursue
the learning aspect by many means, one of which would be enrolling in college
and taking courses which might eventually lead to a PhD - BUT, the PhD is only
incidental to the activity.  It is not the activity itself.

Also, what I think Buddha and Jesus both said were more along the lines of
living in the present.  Using the example above, if you are going to class
every day and studying every night - then you should pour yourself TOTALLY into
each activity you are doing IN THE PRESENT.  You should wake up welcoming the
new day, do your morning exercises as best you can, take your shower and dry
off with all your awareness, fix and eat your breakfast with reverence and
thanks, drive to class focusing all your attention on the drive, attend class
while focusing all your attention on the teacher's instructions, etc...  You
should NOT wake up and rush through your morning resenting the interruption of
your sleep, shower quickly and eat your breakfast in a rush while trying to
catch the first 15 mins of CNN, drive to class while thinking about your
upcoming test or the cute girl/guy who sits next to you in class, fidget
through your class hoping it will end quickly so you and the cute guy/girl
sitting next to you could go to the beach or park.

This is what I mean by living in the present, not dwelling on the past or
dreaming about the future.