Zato,

Sounds to me like Deepak accepts evolution as the mechanism by which life evolves. He just says there may be something beyond that in the fine tuning of the universe such as to produce intelligent life. That's the view I hold as well. It neither denies the ongoing mechanism of evolution nor requires an intelligent designer. The gaps in evolution are not the 'missing links' between species, but rather evolution's silence on the why and the possible convergence of random evolution towards end states pre-determined by the fine tuning of the basic laws of nature, such as intelligent life forms.

Edgar