Hi Mike!

Good post!.  I've found it simple and very insighful.  Thanks for it
and also thanks for your kind note in connection with the health of
my sister and myself.

A big smile to you
Mayka

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, mike brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> As so happens with zen, small chance encounters with
> people, books, bamboos striking bamboo poles etc. can lead to a
deeper
> understanding. In relation to the 'mountains are mountains, water is
> water' quote, I like the story I heard about an American
practicioner
> who came to Japan and sat thru a lecture about reality/illusion
given
> by the temple's roshi. Admitting his confusion afterwards, the
American
> asked for some clarification. The roshi explained that at first
> mountains are mountains, water is water. Then after some sometime
> studying Zen, mountains are no longer mountains , water is not
water.
> Finally, after satori, mountains are mountains, water is water
again.
> The student said that he could understand the first two lines but
not
> the third, so the roshi said, "Mountains are mountains, water is
water". Seeing the student's still confused expression the roshi
elaborated, "Mountains are mountains, water is water".