From: Edgar Owen <edgaro...@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Zen] Ducks Have Buddha Nature?
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, 21 December, 2008, 9:25 PM

Anthony,

This is a very perverted idea, that one can eat meat without karmic guilt, if
you let someone else do the killing for you and let him get the bad karma.

It is just as bad as fundamentalists Christian belief that it is OK to sin over
and over if at the end one repents his sins and accepts Christ he will be saved.

Both are perversions.

Edgar

On Dec 21, 2008, at 4:22 AM, Anthony Wu wrote:

I believe 'Buddha nature' is a mahayana Buddhism's creation. I have not found
original Buddhism literature mentioning the term. Some go as far as insisting
that even stone has Buddha nature. Let us limit ourselves to sentient beings
only who have Buddha nature. That means all animals, including roaches and
vermin. When a pond was filled with water to kill insects, the Buddha allowed
it, because the purpose was to clean the place, not to kill. By the same token,
if we eat meat bought from a supermarket, we create little bad karma, because
we don't do the killing. So animals are not created to be food. Therefore,
Jesus says, 'don't kill sacrifice animals. Use my blood, to donate to God.'
That is the highest ideal.. It is best to be a vegetarian. If you cannot resist
eating delicious meat, try not to cause to kill, to avoid creating bad karma.
Good luck.