"cid830" now that I think of it, maybe there is an answer,>

I think it bears some discussion. There are those who believe they
surpassed Buddha. Did they?

On the other hand, shouldn't Buddha be the starting point? If the
practice of Buddhism has evolved over the past 1500 years, then it
would seem logical that surpassing Buddha's level of enlightenment
would be a standard of being a zen master or any other type of master.