From: billsm...@hhs1963.org <billsm...@hhs1963.org>
Subject: RE: [Zen] Re: The Reason For God
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, 13 January, 2009, 6:14 PM

Anthony,

>From reading your posting attached below I think you are talking about
>'accountability' , not 'justification. thefreedictionary. com defines
>'justify' as "To demonstrate or prove to be just, right, or valid". It defines
>'accountability as: "Liable to being called to account; answerable".

The concept of 'karma' is the Buddhist vehicle for accountability. The concept
of 'cause-and-effect' is the Newtonian equivalent.

I don't 'deny' karma. I see it to be 'maya', and like most other intellectual
concepts, including 'cause-and-effect' , to be illusory. If you believe in
karma, then it certainly can have an effect on you. You could harbor guilt for
doing something you think is 'wrong', and that certainly could affect your
future actions.

But then any illusion can have an effect on you if you believe it. If you
believe in God and sin and Heaven and Hell then you might believe if you do
something 'wrong' you might go to Hell when you die. You might also believe if
you really, really regret doing whatever you did, and you ask God for
forgiveness, you will be forgiven, and then still be eligible for Heaven. Does
this mean God and sin and Heaven and Hell are not illusory?

I believe they are, and so is karma.

To finish off replying to your post, I don't believe there is a 'rule of this
universe'.

There's Just THIS!

....Bill!