Anthony and Mike,

I'm jumping into this discussion to say that I still am not getting posts from
Mike.  I read his post attached to this post (Anthony's) and wanted to say I
agree with it for the most part.

As for Anthony's questions below:
- Some examples of what an advanced zen practitioner can do are:  wake when
refreshed, eat when hungry, wash your bowls and sleep when tired.  The
important part about these are not that they are remarkable, the important part
about these is when you do them, you DO THEM and ONLY THEM.  You don't think
about what you're going to do later when you are eating.  When eating, Just
EAT!  When washing your bowls, Just WASH YOUR BOWLS!  Always, Just THIS!

- The stories you read are just stories - zen stories.  Don't try to
intellectualize them.  When you read them Just READ!

Read the koan concerning Nanchaun (Nanzen - Jp.) and the cat again.  It's Case
14 in the GATELESS GATE koan collection.  The part about the monks quarreling
and the 'killing' of the cat is incidental to the story.  Read the Commentaries
and Teisho on the case.

Seung Sahn (Soen Sa Nim) was a contemporary Zen Master in the Korean Zen
Buddhist tradition.  His comparison about sex and a porcupine in a narrow hole
may have been meant to refer to any type of addiction.  Maybe he had a problem
with addiction to sex.  His comparison may only apply to him and not to you.
Again, don't overly intellectualize his words, and no matter WHO the author of
a quote is, even Gautama Siddhartha Buddha, the quotes are just words, may be
misquoted or awkwardly interpreted, and may or may not apply to you.  In any
event YOU are the one who must discovery Buddha Nature and then you burn all
your books.

The other two examples you cite are just extreme examples of Compassion, a
trait that is stressed in Buddhism and is inherent in Buddha Nature.

Mike,  I am not getting your posts via email from zen_fo...@yahoogroups.com.
If you post something you REALLY REALLY want me to read, please either copy me
on the email or send me an alert that you've posted something.  My email
address I use for the forum is billsm...@hhs1963.org.

Thanks...Bill!