From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:zen_fo...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
Anthony Wu
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2010 5:24 AM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Zen] Re: From The Gateless Gate

Artie,

Certainly you have a valid way of treating someone with a broken heart. But
when Joshu fell in the snow, he pretended to be physically hurt, and his fellow
monk just lay down by his side, without any attempt to pull  him out of the
snow. Suddenly Joshu got up just like nothing had happened. The episode sounds
like a bad joke to me. However, zen literature is full of bad jokes. For
instance, the same Joshu put his shoe on his head, which would have saved the
cat killed by his teacher Nanzen.

Probably Joshu fallen in the snow has another meaning.

Anthony