As usual, Bill's responses are right on the mark :-)

In my experience, compassion is not something I ever thought much about, it is
just a natural response, just something I do. I eat, I sleep, I pass water, I
help my neighbor, I feed the stray cats in my neighborhood, I help out at the
library.

In reference to the conversation, well, I want to do these things, so there is
desire there I think. If seeing another in pain or suffering or in need causes
me discomfort, then my compassion is not completely 'unselfish', is it?

But- -

Does it really matter, all the whys and wherefores, and what Buddha said? Or is
what happens what matters?

Artie

FROM: Over the hills and far away. . .
The way to do is be. Lao Tzu