From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:zen_fo...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of ED
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2010 9:41 PM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Zen] Zen and the art of saving the planet

Bill, which "self"  are you referring to?  --ED

Definitions of self on the Web:

*       your consciousness of your own identity
*       a person considered as a unique individual; "one's own self"
*       (used as a combining form) relating to--of or by or to or from or
for--the self; "self-knowledge"; "self-proclaimed"; "self-induced"

<http://www.google.com/url?q=http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn%3Fs%
3Dself&sa=X&ei=clhlTJOxCJPmsQPO6JiWDQ&ved=0CBsQpAMoAA&usg=AFQjCNHbQ5GiQdZ-aC
0EX7bRQMvcaogj8w> wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
*       The self is a key construct in several schools of psychology,
broadly referring to the cognitive and affective representation of one's
identity. ...

<http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_(psychology)&
sa=X&ei=clhlTJOxCJPmsQPO6JiWDQ&ved=0CBwQpAMoAQ&usg=AFQjCNHePwPKUPkFd_H75zbYj
iI1Je816Q> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_(psychology)

*       Self is broadly defined as the essential qualities that make a
person distinct from all others. The task in philosophy is defining what
these qualities are, and there have been a number of different approaches.
The "self" is the idea of a unified being which is the source of
consciousness. ...

<http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_(philosophy)&
sa=X&ei=clhlTJOxCJPmsQPO6JiWDQ&ved=0CB4QpAMoAw&usg=AFQjCNGlijJ0Rs2r-4bvg7qgJ
h3cpLfCYw> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_(philosophy)

*       The Self is a complex and core subject in many forms of
spirituality. Two types of self are commonly considered - the self that is
the ego, also called the learned, superficial self of mind and body, an
egoic creation, and the Self which is sometimes called the "True Self", the
"Observing Self ...

<http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_(spirituality
)&sa=X&ei=clhlTJOxCJPmsQPO6JiWDQ&ved=0CCAQpAMoBQ&usg=AFQjCNGIIrRwYUDMK8nfuaU
Bvm22ngouZw> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_(spirituality)
*       In sociology, the self refers to an individual person from the
perspective of that person. It is the individual's conception of himself or
herself, and the underlying capacity of the person's mind or intellect which
formed that conception (one's "true self"). ...

<http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_(sociology)&s
a=X&ei=clhlTJOxCJPmsQPO6JiWDQ&ved=0CCEQpAMoBg&usg=AFQjCNHtJXs6AHzyrjbrcKExJM
EhX3xmig> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_(sociology)

> Ed,
>
> Saving yourself from your illusion of self.
>
> .Bill!

> Saving myself from what, in your opinion? --ED

> > .by first saving yourself.Bill!

> > ED posted:
> >
> > > Zen and the art of saving the planet

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/zen-and-the-art-of-sav