From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:zen_fo...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
Kristy McClain
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 2:26 AM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Zen] Death

*bows* to you DP...

I've often read and heard that the reality of death is an important part of zen
practice and training. Personally, I have never devoted any time to it. I will
explain why.  WhenI I was 25, I had a life-altering car accident.  So serious
that I was technically "dead" for moments while my  heart and kidneys stopped
functioning.  I spent a month in a coma, and six months in the hospital.  No--
I didn't experience any of those "near-death" visions. I wasn't at all
religious then --or now. It was long before I  found Zen.

But if I HAD died, I wouldn't have known the difference.  If there is some kind
of transcent existence after death, I suppose I'll find out. If not, I won't
experience anything at all, including pain, fear or loss. I suggest you look
within  about why you fear death.  Do you have unfinished business here.
Finish  them.  Do you feel guilty  due to  some  behavior or action you have
done?  Fix it and work on forgiveness.  Do you believe in a hell  where you
fear you are headed for  eternity? If so, seek  guidance from those who share
your belief. Is your ego so big that you feel entitled to be immortal?
Truthfully, what is there  really to fear?

I guess I just can't wrap my head around such a fear.  If someone runs me over
at a crosswalk today..(which is possible  due to these crazy, texting,
cell-phone-talking, putting  on lipstick on with one hand while driving with
their knee), I guess I will die. Other than the fact of dealing with resolving
 my financial and living issues by family and friends as they grieve  my loss--
in the end..life goes on.

Perhaps your problem with being stuck on this issue is due to your focus on it.
Get involved in someon else's life, and the fear and focus will gradually cease.

Be well. :)  Kristy