From: Kristy McClain <healthypl...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Zen] Death
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, 30 August, 2010, 11:23 PM

*smiles*

Your comment reminds me of the koan about what your face looked like before you
were born.

Perhaps that  IS a meditation  koan DP could ponder;)

As to the post suggesting that everyone is , or must be afraid of death beit
consciously or not-- I must respectfully disagree.  Such an awareness is unique
to each of us.   Not to mention that to make such generalizations is merely a
projection on their part.

I met a man last spring who kept popping up in my life like an old penny. We
had little in common and with vastly different life tracts. Over time, I have
truly been touched and  enriched by this man, even though  many things about
him bug the hell out of me.

He knows more about death than I'll ever know or want to....

At 19, in Vietnam, he was captured and tortured for months. Beaten  routinely,
he still has residual injuries today.  I just  got off the phone with him, as
he is awaiting final audiology checks to complete his paperwork for his
military pension. He will be 60 in October.  After his tour in Nam, he went
back to school, married and had a son. As part of a humanitarian corp, he and
his family moved to the  Middle East.  His wife and son were killed by a car
bomb in Beirut. He has travelled the world, helping out in the most difficult
and dangerous places on the globe.

When he  returned to the  USA, he worked in law inforcement in NYC, NY. One day
he was struck by a drunk driver, and was nearly killed. He was in a coma and
spent months in the hospital.  He was left with many physical disabilities and
memory problems.  He needed a new career, and went back to  school to study the
ministry.   He was a minister when the terrorist attack came on 9/11.  He spent
48-hour days in the heart of the crisis as a minister also trained in law
enforcement.  Due to the severe environmental toxins  at Ground Zero, he now
has severe liver damage , and is on a transplant list.  He is diabetic.. has no
teeth.. and can barely walk.  Yet this man perseveres.

I have no idea what this man  sees in me, but he cares so much about
me--without really knowing very much about me.  He has  an endless array of
annoying habits.   And he humbles me to the core.

Who do I think I am to moan about my life disappointments?  He has lived a
dozen lives already in his 60 years.

I've learned from him that fear of death is an egoistic mindset.  It truly
doesn't matter when I die.

What matters is what I do right now and today to help others, and offer
whatever I have  to them.   What gifts we each have within ourselves do not
exist for our own comfort and pleasures.  They exist  to be used to help and
connect with others.

Be well..

Kristy